.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Monday, December 04, 2006

Holiday Traditions

I don't really remember how it started. I'm sure it had something to do with my twisted sense of humor though. But we have an unusual family tradition whenever gift giving time comes around. Every year when it comes close to Christmas, or to birthdays, or any other gift giving occasion, people start asking "what are you going to get me?" I know that I sure asked that a lot when I was a kid. I always thought that "Wait and find out" was a really lame answer. Now I'm not a psychologist, but it seems to me that all "wait and find out" does is encourages people to ask again later. Surely there are other good answers than "wait and find out".

But what can you do? Do you tell them everything that you are getting them and spoil the surprise? Do you just say, "I'm not telling."?
Not at my house you don't.

"Daddy, what am I getting for Christmas?"
"A spatula."

And on Christmas morning, the kids open their presents, and what is present number one? A spatula. Not a cheap throw-away spatula, mind you. A very nice ultra deluxe spatula that even Rachael Ray would be proud to own.

It doesn't have to be a spatula though. It could be a vegetable strainer. Or a potato peeler. How about a peppermill? Wooden spoons? An ice tray? Yes, I've given them all. The possibilities are endless.
So what are the children getting for Christmas this year?
I don't know.
But Kenny is getting a fly swatter.

5 Comments:

At December 04, 2006 7:52 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

My dear husband has done that sort of thing for years to his nieces and nephews. An odd shoe, a socket wrench, a tire iron..he is quite famous for it..throw in an occasional lap dance and that is the holiday tradition. There are also rumors of his Christmas Caroling in the nude but I have yet to see it.
Now he dances around the house saying I have Christmas dollars to spend just on YOU! Money you DON"T know about! And your spa savings piggy bank? All the unrolled uncounted money is (are?) Christmas dollars! Hell, I have double top secret Christmas dollars I (meaning him) forgot about!
Effective as usual,because at this point, I know longer care (I JUST WANT HIM TO SIT STILL AND BE QUIET!!)...kinda like when he says go buy some new clothes..very effective..I can't shop under pressure! I do need a set of spatulas though, seriously. I got those cool mixing bowls from Williams Sonoma and the fancy cake pans but nary a spatula in the house! Guess those aren't hot gifts for weddings!

 
At December 04, 2006 7:53 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Guess I could have made that an entry on my blog.. Sowwy!

 
At December 05, 2006 5:27 AM, Blogger Denial Renae said...

That is just too funny! I am going to have to remember and use it!

 
At December 05, 2006 5:27 AM, Blogger Denial Renae said...

That is just too funny! I am going to have to remember and use it!

 
At December 12, 2006 8:43 PM, Blogger Random Girl said...

We're giving the kids some rocks this year. They love those damn aquarium beads and we found some that are big and multicolored and 7 actually stopped in his tracks at Walmart and grabbed them, "We're giving the kids these for Christmas. They're cool!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?