.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Friday, November 24, 2006

Been working on the computer again

I had an interesting problem today. I recently built my wife a new computer, and she opted to just start over on all of her programs and files. At the same time my own computer had crashed, and I had to put in a new harddrive. The old HD still works, but windows was buggered on it. So we were both pretty much starting over on our files at the same time.
The problem is that all of our music has always been on the computers. Whenever we buy a CD, we just copy it over onto the computers and then put the actual CD in cold storage. Virtually none of our CDs have been accessed more than twice. Once for each of our computers.
So it's been a month since any music has come out of either of our speakers. That's a long time. So this evening I decided to hook my old HD up slave to my new one.
But apparantly, both of the HDs are very strong willed. Neither of them wanted to work whenever it was in the slave setting. I tried using the old Master/Slave setup on the jumpers, and I tried Cable Select. Each time I tried, only the Master would show up.
I've never had that happen before, and I assume it is a compatability issue of some sort.
My next effort was to place each HD as master with a slave CD or DVD. The problem there was that my case is too big for the length of the ribbon cable. It's impossible to reach either of the CD ROMs with the cable if it routes to the HD first.
So in the end, my motherboard helped me out. I have an extended IDE on my motherboard, so that I have four IDE slots on the motherboard instead of two. (So I can actually have eight HDs/CDs instead of the normal four.)
Man, I love my computer.
So after I hooked up the new HD (F:) on my computer, I burned my wife a DVD of her music. It came out to 4.6 GB, burned as a data file. That's a lot. We used to buy music by the lot off of ebay. We would usually get about 100 cd's at a time from someone who was cleaning out their old collections. So that took a while to copy all of them for her.
After that I wanted to update my Real Player so that I could simply access all of my music from the player without having to search through various HD's each time I wanted to listen to music. So I let Real Player search through both of my HDs and pull out all of the MP3's. It found over 3200 of them, which, of course, is why I put off doing this for so long. Now it's going to take me another month to sort through and categorize all of them and get it so that I can easily find whichever one I am looking for.
What ever happened to the good old days where you would just put in a tape.

1 Comments:

At November 25, 2006 5:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am one of those that buys online music..so when my various computers crashed over the last two years, I lost hundreds of dollars in music. I really don't have a use for CD's. My music is always accessed from the computer or my Ipod...but now I understand the importance of burning the occasional cd :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?