.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is upon us once again. And that means food, family, and the start of the traditional ChristX shopping season.
I don't particularly like the holidays. It's not that I dislike them, per se. I just don't like them more than the rest of the year.
I enjoy every day. Or at least I try to. I just think that people emphasize the wrong things during the holiday season. What good are decorations, shopping, and parties if all they do is stress you out? It's supposed to be a celebration. It turns into work.
This Thanksgiving my wife and I decided to go see my mother. Our intention is to go there after the Macy's parade is over and stay for dinner.
As such, we won't be spending too much money on Thanksgiving. I figure we will save about $136 by doing it this way.

An annual event for me on Thanksgiving is to download and read a copy of George Washington's Thanksgiving Day address and Lincoln's as well. It's educational.

I try to remain thankful throughout the year. Thanksgiving day is no real exception.
I have so much to be thankful for all the time that it amazes me that anyone is ever upset at all. How can you be upset if you are feeling thankful?

People have misplaced priorities, IMHO. I see it all the time at work. They work all their life, save their money, get ready for retirement, and then get sick, only to realize that they have lived their entire life in search of money, and never really lived at all. There's a saying that goes, "you use up your health looking for wealth, and then you use up your wealth trying to get your health back."

So I'll probably never retire. I'll probably never have a yacht. I'll probably live in a small house in a mediocre neighborhood for the rest of my life. But I'll probably never regret it, either. I'll probably enjoy my family and my life until the day that I die. Because I live my life. Every day is an adventure. I try to do something special every day. And when I'm old and wrinkled up, when I look back on my life I probably won't have any regrets. I'll probably just be thankful.
Which leads me back to the beginning again. Happy Thanksgiving.

7 Comments:

At November 22, 2006 3:48 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

I say my night-night time prayers with a please and a thank you. Always thankful, I am a lucky lucky girl.

 
At November 22, 2006 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't have Thanksgiving in Aus...but today for lunch I'll have a turkey sandwhich for you all...and maybe a Vodka and Cranberry juice to go with it.

 
At November 22, 2006 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a good idea. I'm going to Vegas tomorrow!

 
At November 22, 2006 6:42 PM, Blogger violetvirus said...

We don't have any thanksgiving here either..But Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

 
At November 22, 2006 9:19 PM, Blogger jagular said...

TTQ: You're a great person. You inspire me.

Karina: Ah, get the cosmopolitan. They are very good for you.

Violet: Thank you, and I hope you have an awesome day in Singapore.

 
At November 23, 2006 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a great post. I will definitely be talking about you at my grandparents tomorrow.

Have a wonderful day tomorrow!

Love ya!

 
At November 23, 2006 9:33 AM, Blogger Tired of being broke said...

Your post is nothing but the truth. Sometimes I have to remind myself to step back and not get caught up in the rat race.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?