.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Sunday, November 19, 2006

How it all happened

I was at work Friday night and things were slow, so I was reading a couple of blogs, when I came across this post by Leigh Ann.
She seemed pretty upset, because she found out that her debt was significantly higher than she had thought. I sat and thought about it for a few minutes and posted a comment telling her what I would do if I were in her situation. Just my own personal opinion. After that, things picked up a bit at work, so I had to go about doing my job. But I kept thinking about her post, and wishing I could do SOMETHING to help.
I ran my bills through my head and counted on my fingers and I could afford about fifty bucks. I wished I could do more, but I just didn't have the money. I was thinking of how much she has inspired me over the last year, and how if there was a way to help her more, I would. I started thinking about how she was always encouraging everyone online and how she never has a bad word to say about anyone.
So I started thinking that if everyone were to pitch in fifty bucks, she would be completely out of trouble. The trouble is, however, that I know that a lot of people on here are not really able to come up with fifty bucks. That's a lot of money if you don't have it. (Actually, it's a lot of money whether you have it or not)
So I ran some more numbers around in my head and figured that I could probably scrape up another fifty bucks. So I went ahead and decided that I would do my best and let everyone else decide what they could do, or would do.
So I wrote my post, all the while thinking, "this is going to take some balls to pull this one off"
Then I went and left my second comment on Leigh Ann's blog.
It's amazing what goes through your head when you try to set something like this up. What if nobody else thinks this is a good idea? What if Leigh Ann is offended by this? What if everyone does their best and it's just not enough for her to get by on? But I just said to myself, WTF.
So then the waiting game started. Yennie left a comment on my blog first.
When Yen commented, I went ahead and left my final comment, and then I knew it had a good chance of working, because nobody wants to be the first.
At that time I started going to different people's blogs, who I knew were regular readers of Leigh Ann's, and giving them a "heads up" to go check out Save Leigh Ann.
It took TTQ less than three minutes to respond.
And then I had to go home.

I live an hour from work, so all the way home I was wondering how it was going to go. What if everyone just gives a buck?
Well, I decided, it doesn't matter. If someone gives a buck, or they give a hundred bucks each, as long as it's from the heart, it will still make a difference.
When I got home, Corker had just posted. It was starting to look like it was going well. I waited around a little while, and looked at the hit counter page. Yes, I saw a few other people lurking besides just me. No names. But I saw you.

And then I went to bed. I still had to work again Saturday night.
And of course, I overslept.
When I woke up, I had comments from Sheila, Bilbo Faggins, and Karinaxoxo.
But I had to run to get to work on time.

I had a pretty good rant worked out in my head just in case I tried this and nobody replied. And I had managed to figure out my budget enough that I could come up with two hundred more dollars if I needed to, but it would have really hurt. But while I was driving to work, I was pretty sure that everything was going to go very well.
But what if Leigh Ann had understated her finances? What if everyone pitched in and she found out it still wouldn't be enough to help? So I started coming up with a plan B. I resolved that I would help out Leigh Ann, not only if it hurt, but if it put me really back. This was just one of those times where it just HAS to work. Leigh Ann is just that kind of a person.
So then I started thinking about Bilbo Faggins' comment. It really pissed me off.

(rant) I don't get pissed off very easily. I'm a happy-go-lucky kind of person. Maybe once in a year will I get even remotely ticked. But to get completely pissed is pretty rare indeed. Today is one of those days.
Bilbo Faggins wrote: "I dont get these "save me im in debt" blogs. There are hundreds of them.
Medical debt or something like that would be different. But when its their own fault? WTF. There are much better places to send a few hundred dollars."
Ok, now WTF is this? First of all, if you had bothered to READ my post, you would have no doubt noticed that it was QUITE CLEARLY no longer about "save" Leigh Ann. It was a post about "we love" Leigh Ann.
Second of all, yes, there are better places to send a few hundred dollars. Did I ask anyone for a few hundred dollars? Or did I just ask for a buck or two?
I do send money to other places as well. I also help out a lot of other people. This event, while unique to you, is common place to me. I do this type of thing EVERY WEEK. I don't send a few hundred dollars somewhere and be happy. I like to think big. So which places have you sent any money? It's easy to sit there and say there are better places. Which places have you sent money to? I'll tell you. None. You know how I know that? It's because I know your type. Self assured, arrogant, head up the ass people who think that they can just sit there and blow holes in other people's ideas while still feeling good about themselves. Well guess what. It doesn't work here. "There are much better places to send a few hundred dollars" just doesn't do it as well as "And if nobody else goes along with it, that's ok, too. I'll come up with a couple more hundred dollars and do it all myself."
Did you know that just in this last year alone I have given away over twenty thousand dollars, helping other people to better themselves? So take your few hundred dollars and choke on it, you piece of shit. (/rant)

Ok, well that's my rant. Not very eloquent, I admit. I'm not any kind of professional writer or anything. But I know someone who is.
Karyn came by, and she is a professional writer. And a damn good one if what everyone says is true. She managed to say everything that I just said above in one quick comment. She said, "And go fuck yourself Bilbo Faggins."
You see, that's why she's a professional writer and I'm just some guy who keeps a blog. She has an absolute gift for just nailing the right words.

When Karyn posted that she had donated, that's when I knew it was all going to work out. I know that Leigh Ann is Karyn's number one fan. She absolutely adores her.
And if Karyn told her to pay it all off, I knew that it was a done deal.

After that, Elizabeth and Lex posted, and Denial Renae squoze in at the last minute.

In all, out of everyone who's blog I posted to, the only ones who didn't reply are Katie-Q and Heather, and I'm sure that they both would have, had they been online.
I know that Katie-Q has some internet connection problems. She won't be back until later in the week. And Heather didn't get on. I know because I happen to know her IP address and I checked the site meter. And besides, I know both of them enough to know that they would have if they knew. It was, after all, very short notice. But I'm still counting them both as helping out. If fact, it was Heather who designed Leigh Ann's site to begin with.

And last but not least, I was really proud of Kayla, from Random Girl.
She doesn't even know Leigh Ann, but she still helped out, just because she trusted my judgement. I'm proud to know you, Kayla. Thank you.

And thank you to everyone else who helped out. Do you get the same kind of warm and squishy feeling inside that I have? Or is that just gas?
I recommend trying this out in your own lives. Find someone to help out. Make it a habit. You really can make a difference in people's lives.

But most of all, I would like to take just a moment to say thank you to Leigh Ann. Thank you for your friendship. Thank you for your inspiration. Thank you for the ups and the downs. But most of all, thank you for being born. You are a wonderful person, Leigh Ann. I'm really proud of you. YOU DID IT!!! YOU ARE DEBT FREE!!!!




-jag

11 Comments:

At November 19, 2006 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jag,

You really do blow me away! I don't think I have ever felt so special in my entire life.

I have been so scared the last 12 hours. Wondering, did I make a mistake taking every penny I had and paid these people. Even more than I owe them? I didn't mention I had, in addition to the Target card in the mail, also got a bill from the hospital for $44,000. But after reading this post, I now know that I am going to be fine.

I am going to contact my insurance and make sure they pay most of it. And the remaining bill I am going to send to my dentist to pay as I would never have been there if he had done his job right. I wasn't going to do that and just pay it myself because I believe you don't sue people. But I don't want that to happen to other people and even though I won't sue him, I will send him the bill with a letter as to why I think he should pay it.

Ken, you have been an inspiration to me. You saw me through something I never thought I had the strength to do. I feel free. A little scared....but free.

The way you live your life is truly amazing. People aren't like you. You have an ability to bring people together and make them think. You change people's regular hum drum life and motivate people to change for the better. You are truly a light!

I am completely and utterly blown away by you!

 
At November 19, 2006 8:13 AM, Blogger jagular said...

Well thank you for the compliment, Leigh Ann. In real life I'm really quite an asshole. You just bring out the best in people, that's all.
:P

 
At November 19, 2006 8:23 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

She really does bring the best out in people, doesn't she? She has been nicer to me than live people I see on a daily basis. There aren't many people in the world who have an impact on people like she has, and that truly says something. Thanks for involving me in your blog. Sarah

 
At November 19, 2006 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ken,

Please don't be mad, but with the help I received from everyone, I will be fine.

That is why I am returning your money to you.

I don't need that much to get by.

Your support and inspiration has changed my life. Please go hug your wife and take her out to dinner tonight.

I don't know what I would have done without you. I know this much....I would still be in debt.

Please don't be mad....

 
At November 19, 2006 2:29 PM, Blogger Save Sheila said...

I wish I had thought of the rant before you. Some people get their jollies belittling people like me. I pay no attention to them. I don't expect people to bail me out; I did all this all by my lonesome. But having friends that will listen and care is a huge help in this fight. You are a true friend, even though we've never met. I would still say that even if you hadn't kept me in Starbucks for a month! You are the greatest (as is Leigh Ann). Two greatests; is that possible? Yes!!!!

 
At November 19, 2006 5:35 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

I'm all warm and fuzzy, my eyes are welling up. Temper Tantrum Queens don't cy... This was the most inspirational highlight of my month, and you guys know how I am about Karma....

Jag- It never occured to me that it wouldn't work, that we wouldn't be able to help her. I knew deep down, it was the right thing to do. So of course it had to work. Don't doubt faith.

 
At November 19, 2006 5:45 PM, Blogger jagular said...

Corker: She encourages me, and I'm unencouragable :P

Leigh Ann: WOOOHOOOO!! Who got a hundred dollars? I got a hundred dollars! WOOOHOOOO!!!

Sheila: You can use that rant whenever you want, as I won't be needing it anymore. I intend to use Karyn's from now on. "Go fuck yourself" says a whole lot real quick.
But you are even greatester, because I know how broke you are, and you still managed to send her twenty five dollars. That was very unselfish of you. It really meant a lot to me.

TTQ: It sure occurred to me, because I've done things like this before and fallen flat on my face. I've even gotten the "who the hell do you think you are butting into my life" speech before. Some people just suck. But you guys just all showed what great people you are. You guys are the most unsuckiest people in the whole world.


And one more time....WOOOHOOOOO!!! I GOT A HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!

 
At November 19, 2006 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jag-

Thank you for taking such great care of my bestest friend in the whole wide world!

We are all amazing... It's true! What comes around goes around... and you are a great ass hole! Any ass hole that sticks up for my friend get's my vote.

Actually, I love you even more...

 
At November 20, 2006 12:28 AM, Blogger jagular said...

Pam: Awww Shucks. Twernt nuthin.
You're so sweet, Pam. Leigh Ann picked a good friend to be bestest friends with.

 
At November 21, 2006 1:51 AM, Blogger Karyn said...

Hi! Thanks for appreciating my frankness re: this Bilbo character. And thanks for telling me about you post.

And to further the Bilbo thing... Of course there are more worthy causes than Leigh Ann, but like you said, that wasn't the point of your post. The point was to do something nice for someone who's touched your life in some way. Gifts, including charitible donations, should come from the heart, and I'm proud to say mine did! xx

 
At December 08, 2006 8:48 PM, Blogger Bilbo Faggins said...

haha, what the hell
I make a little comment and you fucking explode.
I came across a blog I disagreed with and I said something about.
Delete my comment if you dont like it. Otherwise, eat a dick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?