.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

corresponding with microsoft

Dear Microsoft,
I signed up for your webhosting package a few months ago but I have lost my password.
How do I reset my password?
-sincerly, Jagular.

Dear Mr. Jagular,
I am sorry to hear that you have lost your password. Please click on the following link to reset your password. (Link provided)
Sincerely, The Microsoft Team.


Dear Microsoft,
Thank you for sending me the link to reset my password. However, when I clicked the link and it took me to the password reset page, it asked me for the email that the website is registered under. If you are familiar with the registration process, you will know that it automatically registers your service under the email address created for the URL you are hosting. So I entered "Jagular@MYURL.com".
Then when I hit enter, it told me that the instructions to reset my password have just been emailed to the address that I just provided. Herein lies the problem. The email address in question can only be accessed through the site who's password I am trying to reset. Therefore the reset instructions cannot be accessed.
Can you email the instructions to this address instead?

Dear Mr. Jagular,
Thank you for you email. Please understand that we must first verify your identity. Please answer the following questions which come from the registration information you provided upon establishing your account and then we can proceed with resetting your password.
1. What is your full name.
2. What email address is the service registered under?
3. What state do you live in?
4. What is your zip code?
5. What is your mother's maiden name?
6. What was the exact date that you registered the website?
7. What is your credit card number that you activated the website under.
8. What is your IP address?
9. Who is your ISP?
(Many more questions, etc, etc, etc.)
Sincerely, the Microsoft Team.


Dear Microsoft,
Here are the answers to the questions that you asked to establish my identity:
1. answers
2. answers
3. answers.
etc.
Please reset my password.
Sincerely, Jagular

Dear Mr. Jagular,
Thank you for your quick response.
The instructions for resetting the password to the account have now been emailed to the email account on file.
Sincerely, The Microsoft Team.


Dear Microsoft,
You see, this is the problem. The email account on file is the email account that is accessed by the password that I am trying to reset. If I was able to check that email account I would not need to reset the password in the first place.
Sincerely, Jagular

Dear Mr. Jagular,
I am sorry to hear that you have lost your password. Please click on the following link to reset your password. (Same link as the first one)
Sincerely, The Microsoft Team.

Dear Microsoft,
Thank you for the fine collection of links that you have so far sent me. However, the fundamental problem remains the same. The email account that you want me to use to reset the password is hosted under the URL who's password I have lost. I cannot access the URL without the password, and therefore, cannot access this email account. Please do not send me any more links to this email account, because I cannot access it. Instead, please reset my password and just send me the new password, or cancel my account so that I can register the URL with another host.
Sincerely,
Jagular


Dear Mr. Jagular,
Thank you for your email. We have now established your identity and will now reset your password. Please copy the following link into any word processing program and then save it. After that, please clear all of your cookies and then close all browsers. Then open an internet explorer browser and copy and paste the link from the word processing program into the address bar of the browser.
When prompted, enter the email address "jagular@MYURL.com" and then enter your new password. Please write this new password down and save it in a safe place.
Sincerely,
The Microsoft Team


Dear Microsoft,
Thank you for the fully functional link that you have sent me at last. I particularly enjoyed the cutting and pasting. Well, that and the passive aggressive barb about writing down my password.
Is there a website where I can go to provide feedback on your excellent customer service skills or should I just blog about you wonderful people?
Sincerely, Jagular

4 Comments:

At November 15, 2006 1:30 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Oh password fun and games! It's my favorite part of my computer skills! I always write them down and put them in a safe place (hence, so safe I can't find it ever!)
You know if you had CALLED them, you would have had 20 times as much fun!

 
At November 15, 2006 2:52 PM, Blogger 7 Bates said...

wow...I send those kinds of customer support auto-generated emails to customers for fun. You got a pro wit some mad skillz or a total chuckenbut idiot.

chickenbut idiot. I like that.

 
At November 15, 2006 4:07 PM, Blogger Save Sheila said...

This was so funny because I've had the same type of experience!

I'm only posting a comment on this one post, but I read them all. Good for your son--my son's bright, but lazy. He would rather watch us fix something than do it himself. But we're working on him.

Thank you again for the Starbucks fund. I plan to enjoy every cent of it over the next month. Not every day, but a least a couple/three times a week. Gingerbread lattes are only out in the Christmas season, so I have to enjoy them before they are gone!

I got a bill from AT&T back when we used to have them as our phone provider for about 43 cents. And it said I didn't need to pay it till it was over $1.00, but it never got over that and they sent me the same bill every month (I think postage was only 32 cents then, but still). When people don't handle the billing, stupid stuff happens.

If girls start wanting to use my son, I'm locking him in his room.

 
At November 15, 2006 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That must have drove you nuts!

Nutty people!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?