.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I've been thinking about money a lot lately

I don't like thinking about money. I don't even like money all that much.
But the whole brouhaha with Leigh Ann's debt being paid off has made me think about my own situation. I'm not too bad off, and not too good either. I owe a lot of money, but I have a large income as well.
The problem is that the holiday season is when my work slows down. Nobody goes in for elective surgery during the holidays. I miss a lot of work every year about this time.
So I won't be able to really get down to business until after the new year. But after that I should be able to pay off all of my CC debt in about five months. After that, the car would be paid off in another four or five months. So as a percentage of my income, my debt is not too bad. Dollar amount wise though, it looks bad on paper. So I have purposely avoided putting it all down on paper right now. I prefer using monthly payments and months to pay off.

I am reminded that I promised that we will not skimp on Christmas this year, even if we cut the budget down. And so I did. It looks like there will be some credit card shopping this year then. That's OK with me, though, as it will all be paid of quickly enough after the new year.
I found another four hundred or so dollars per month to cut in the budget. That adds up quick.
Overall, we are doing OK. It's slow going. But it's a lifestyle change. What's the hurry.

2 Comments:

At November 29, 2006 10:54 AM, Blogger Happy Homemaker said...

We run into the same thing. Self employed and we earn good money. Part of our debt is actually business and not personal -- but when you're self employed everything is personal...lol. Lord willing we're looking at having it all paid off by next fall.

 
At November 30, 2006 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This year I am going to buy small gifts for everyone. Mainly because I won't borrow money to do it and people won't remember it a month later anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?