.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Throwing together lunch

"Ken, go make some lunch for your children." means a lot different than "What do you want for lunch?"
"What do you want for lunch" is a question. It is simply a request for information. Quite like, "How does chicken sound?"
But my wife doesn't usually ask "How does chicken sound?" because I will probably tell her "Cluck, cluck, cluck." So instead, the usual is, "what do you want for lunch"
Now sometimes she doesn't want to make lunch. That's fair enough. I'm not opposed to making lunch. That sounds like this: "Would you mind making lunch today?"
But today is different. Today is "Go make some lunch for your children."
That carries implications.
Sometimes it means PMS. Other times it means that the kids are bouncing off the walls, driving my wife crazy, and she is going to go take a nap.
This time I got lucky. This time it meant, "You haven't gone grocery shopping and there's absolutely nothing to eat, so you make lunch and it is hereby no longer my problem."

Now I need to explain that my wife has never been poor. There are many different levels of "nothing to eat". When I was a kid, sometimes we would eat oatmeal three times a day, because that was all we had to eat. "Nothing to eat" back then meant that we were out of oatmeal and there was truly nothing. But for my wife, "nothing to eat" may simply mean that we are out of bread. I have found that in my family, there is always something to eat. It's just a matter of how you put it all together.
So today was one of those times when I had to make one of my famous "recipes".
Some folks call them concoctions. Others prefer "throw together".
Mine is a recipe.

If you want to make a good recipe, the easiest way to do it is to start with a shallow pan. A wok will do.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
For this recipe, I got some water and a couple of eggs. I mixed them together with a fork and added some salt. Salt is an excellent source of iodine. I put it in everything.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Next I added some flour. Enough to make a paste out of it, and then add a little more water to make a batter out of it.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
So this is eggs, flour and water. Mixed with a fork to take out all of the clumps of flour. It's about the same consistancy as pancake batter.

Let that mixture sit for a while, so that the flour will soak up all the liquids and it will all be even textured.
Next I cut up some garlic and onions. It wouldn't be a recipe without garlic and onions.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Then I raided the pantry to find some canned vegetables. Here is a mixed vegetable and ohh, what a treasure...water chestnuts.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I poured a little oil into the fryer and then some batter. You have to be quick on the batter, or it wont be even. Make it all nice and thin. In retrospect, I would have made them a little bit larger and as thin as I could. I would have added more water to make them just thin enough to hold together.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Cook them quickly. About one minute. Just enough to make the bottoms golden brown and the edges starting to curl up a little.
If it was a pancake, this is when you would flip it. But in this case I left the top raw and took it out and worked on the next one.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
And of course, in goes the last of the left over turkey. Chopped up, seasoned with soy sauce and stir fry sauce.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I added the garlic and onions to smell up the house a little bit and let them sit.
I then cut up the water chestnuts (the picture didn't turn out)
and added it to the mix along with the mixed vegetables. You could substitute chopped celery for water chestnuts if you want to.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
After I did all of this, I took some flour in a bowl
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
And added water enough to make a dough ball. I pulled off pieces of the dough ball and smeared it all along the edges so that I could paste them into a roll. It was very messy work and I didn't take any pictures because my hands were messy and I didn't want to touch my nice clean camera. Each half became a roll of stuff, just like a burrito. In retrospect, I would have either made them all smaller and not cut them in half, or made them bigger so that they would roll better. If they were even bigger and much thinner i could have put the stuff on sideways and it would have rolled right up.
Then I took each one and dropped it in the fry daddy brand deep fryer for three our four minutes until it seemed like it was in long enough.
And viola!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Deep Fried Stir Fry Roll Ups

Difficulty:6
Time it took: 1 hour
Palatability: Scarfed down and asking for more.

13 Comments:

At November 29, 2006 3:41 PM, Blogger Chance said...

Wow, it is great to have lunch with you! Looks really good.

I'm with you, there is always something to eat as long as there is oatmeal (in my house, it was "Pancake Day" or even sometimes "Pancake Week").

 
At November 29, 2006 4:16 PM, Blogger Save Sheila said...

I'll be there in time for lunch tomorrow!! What are we having? ;)

My husband can do the cooking thing like you do. He can make something out of pretty much anything. I am missing whatever gene it takes to be creative like that. I am creative with marketing; he's creative with food. His is a much more useful trait than mine.

On the money thing, as long as you aren't totally in denial, you're ok. I just kept spending and spending and had no idea how bad it was. Adding it up was a major shock. Especially since I had no job. Now that I will have income and I know exactly what I owe, I am ok. I love Yodlee for that; it lets me know exactly what's going on.

What the heck is half-nekkid Thursday? It's sitting right below where I'm typing and caught my attention.

 
At November 29, 2006 4:19 PM, Blogger Save Sheila said...

p.s. On the education thing with my kid, I can understand not liking the educational system. I'm not crazy about it either (Georgia schools are like number 49 in the nation). But you obviously did it anyway since you're a nurse. He likes to work sound systems in our church, so that may be a career option for him AFTER he graduates.

 
At November 29, 2006 4:59 PM, Blogger jagular said...

Half nekkid Thursday is a directory type blog where each person posts a half nekkid picture every thursday. It doesn't have to be a dirty picture and it doesn't have to be a yucky part. It can be a foot or an ear. Mostly just one of your body parts that you don't normally take pictures of. I just put that on there as a joke between me and another blogger one time. I don't remember who's blog I originally saw the link on. But if you click on the little flashy thing you were talking about, it will take you to the site.

 
At November 29, 2006 9:22 PM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

Wow. Color me impressed yet again. You are a man with many talents.
I love cooking like that -- my family usually loves it too.

 
At November 30, 2006 5:26 AM, Blogger The fantastic Y said...

yummy. 1 hour? T_T

 
At November 30, 2006 7:12 AM, Blogger jagular said...

From the time I took the picture of the frying pan to the time I took the picture of the food on the plate was one hour and six minutes exactly.

 
At November 30, 2006 7:46 AM, Blogger Kari Lee Townsend said...

Looks so good. You can cook. Good for you;)))

 
At November 30, 2006 9:04 AM, Blogger The Runner said...

Great.. looks so good now Im starving and its only 10AM..

I have tagged you for a wonderfully fun game of ABC's
take a look at

http://runningthroughlifewithoneheelbroken.blogspot.com/

 
At November 30, 2006 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look like a great cook!

 
At November 30, 2006 3:54 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

My doctors would faint...I might eat it if I was feeling like tempting my fate.. No salt or protein or fried foods.. I am impressed though!

 
At December 01, 2006 1:00 AM, Blogger violetvirus said...

You are making me hungry...

 
At December 02, 2006 5:30 PM, Blogger Tired of being broke said...

That 'throw together' looks good.
I shouldn't have clicked on your blog just yet. I just got in from the part-time gig, and am hungry. Now am even more hungry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?