.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Conversations at work

I was at work the other day and the talk was about the recent items in the news related to immigration. I was talking to an immigrant from Korea. We were only having a very slight technical disagreement...at first.
My point was that if you sneak into the country, no matter what your intentions, you are a criminal and should be, at the least, deported. At the most, arrested, sentenced, serve your time, and then deported.
His point was that the main problem was that the immigrants should focus more on bettering their community, and then Americans would not be apt to want to deport them.
So, while not entirely disagreeing with him, I countered with the arguement that if they focused on their community, Americans would be more apt to increase the number of immigrants who could come here each year legally, but the illegal ones should still be deported, just due to the fact that they are illegal.
It was a minor difference of opinion at that point. But then the redneck in me came out, and it degenerated quickly.
I said to him, "Look at the Oriental people. They come over here and set themselves up working. They take care of their family and community. They work hard and send their kids to college. By the second generation, they have it made. But if one of them came over here illegally, they should still be deported."
So how did he reply to that?
"Asian people. You said 'oriental'. There is oriental food. There are oriental rugs. People are Asian."
"Well," I countered, "What about people from Russia? Russia is part of Asia. Are Russians Asian people, too? What about Afghanistan? Are they Asian? I was referring to people from 'the orient', and hence the word 'oriental'."
"No, you would have to call them Russians, Afghanis, and then use Asian and not oriental. It's just that simple."

"Oh, hell," I said. "It don't matter anyway, because you are in Texas. You're Chinese."
"So Texans call every Asian person Chinese? Isn't that overly simplistic, having only one way to refer to many different people?"
"No," I said, "we don't just have one way. We have two. If your eyes slant downwards, you are Chinese, and if they go more up, then you are Japanese. See, we aren't simplistic. We have two kinds of everything."
"Everything?"
"Everything."
"So what if someone was from Argentina?"
"Spanish."
"Chile?"
"Spanish."
"Brazil?"
"Spanish."
"They speak Portugese."
"Still Spanish."
"So you said there are two kinds. What is the other kind?"
"You got two kinds of Spanish people. Legal, and illegal."
"Two kinds of Canadians?"
"French and English."
"Black people?"
"Black and Nigerian."
"What if they are from Kenya?"
"Nigerian."
"Rwanda?"
"Nigerian."
"What about people from England?"
"European."
"Two kinds of European?"
"French and English."
"Ok then. Two kinds of Americans?"
"That would depend on which side of the Mason-Dixon line you are from."
"What about people from Cambodia?"
"Do their eyes slant more up or down?"
"Damn, Ken, you suck."

-it ain't easy-

4 Comments:

At May 11, 2006 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done the Texan thing and boiled the immigration thing down to one point: if they have a college education, and aren't criminals, then let 'em come over with no feet dragging. This country needs less morons.

You can use the term "oriental" but it is still wrong. It's like saying "colored."

 
At May 14, 2006 4:07 AM, Blogger 7 Bates said...

(sigh)

You see...to understand this conversation, you have to understand Ken. He's entirely aware of what he's doing when he says "oriental". Entirely.

"It don't matter anyway, because you are in Texas. You're Chinese." - Ken

That, my friends...is 100% pure Ken Murkot. Follow this link to better understand

 
At May 14, 2006 4:09 AM, Blogger 7 Bates said...

By the way, I damn near pissed myself reading that. I've known this discussion before, but it still kills me!

 
At May 14, 2006 7:11 AM, Blogger jagular said...

Now what's with all this "sigh" business?
I don't see what's wrong with calling someone who's oriental 'oriental'.
Now if I were to call a colored person oriental, I could see where he could be upset.
But if the guy comes from China and he likes soy sauce instead of ketchup, well then it's pretty good chances that he's oriental.

And what on earth is wrong with being Ken Murkot? I've been Ken Murkot my whole life and I ain't never had a problem with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?