.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Sunday, April 09, 2006

So how do you top a computer like this one?

Having put the top of the line of each and every component into that computer, the question keeps coming up, how will I ever top it?

So how about a brainstorm.

1) Different motherboards have different strong and weak points. Some boards would allow for more RAM. If I could find a board that would hold more RAM and still do crossfire as well on the video cards, it would technically be faster. 4GB RAM is a lot though, and I doubt that will ever be the limiting factor in using the computer.

2) They make the same monitor in a 20 inch model. That would be cool.

3) I don't know if it's possible or not, but I was just thinking that is would be cool if you could hook up two keyboard and mouse sets to the same computer. Then each person could go on two screens of the same computer. What would even be cooler would be to both run different instances of UT on the same computer and play online.
I wonder if that is possible...

4) Build a multi-node computer. That would be slick. Especially if you slapped up four more screens on the second one.


Of course, I won't ever top that computer. At least not for so many years that it becomes obsolete. For one thing, I don't have any aps that would need nearly that much computer. I run an AMD 3200+ with 2gb RAM and nothing I use even comes close to bogging that down. Another thing is, I'm out of money. So that makes it really simple.

I'm glad you like the computer, Seven. It's really cool hearing it in your voice.
When you say it's like a graphic artist with years of experience designed and built it, what you probably dont realize is that you designed it. I just listened to all the bitching and moaning you did about what your old computer couldn't do and then made one that could. And when you said you wished that the canyon display was real (see pic) I went and made one.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No, I'll never top it. But I will take solice in the fact that I once owned one...and I gave it away.

2 Comments:

At April 14, 2006 9:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You gave it to sevenbates right?

can I ask what it costs in parts to build this behemoth? Labor was your own so basically that was gratis..but every shiny piece of metal, everything..what was the cost?

 
At April 14, 2006 10:05 AM, Blogger jagular said...

I'm not really sure exactly what it all added up to. I never really thought too much about it. I didn't buy all of the parts all at once, and a lot of them I got on sale, or with a rebate. Some of them were package deals with other of the parts. Besides that, I bought myself some parts for my own computer at the same time as some of those, so the totals are all mixed up.
More or less, your guess is as good as mine. I know it was at least six thousand. Maybe eight. Somewhere in that range. It wasn't more than eight thousand, I think.
You could get the spec list from him, and then you could price the stuff at newegg.com and the video cards and monitors are at outpost.com if you're really interested.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?