.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Monday, December 11, 2006

So I've decided to write a book

I got to talking to Heather about a month ago, back when NaNo was kicking off. She is very encouraging and told me that I should go ahead and write my book.
Oh yes, that book. The book that shows up in my dreams and eventualities. The ever elusive book that I have always been going to write whenever I finally get struck by the muse and have all the free time in the world. When the kids are grown and the wife is off on world tour. The book I want to write when I finally conquer the English language to a degree that the words come flying off of my fingertips as fast as I can type. When the entire outline of the book suddenly appears in its completed form in my newly photographic memory. When a world famous publisher comes knocking on my door saying that they have heard of my amazing writing ability and sought me out to beg me to please write for them.
Yes. That book.
And I considered it. I thought about it for days. Temptation works that way. Jag, you know you want to write it. You've always wanted to. Now is the time.
But then I declined. The kids are NOT grown. The wife is NOT on world tour. I have a life. I have responibilities. I still have my sanity. I cannot commit to a book right now. I just don't have time.
And that was it. Right?
Well, the short answer is, no.
That would have been it if my answer was "No, and I'll never think about it again." but alas (I've always wanted to use the word alas in context.)
It has been haunting me. It creeps in from the sides when I am not expecting it. It is a dream. A wish. A hope.
And then I realized something. NaNoWriMo asks you to write fifty thousand words in a month. That's intense. But I don't have to do it for NaNo. Why a month? Why not a year? Why not two years? What if I were to write fifty or a hundred words per day?
And that was the end of my resistance. It took a month, but I relented nonetheless.

So here I sit in front of the computer, looking at the blank page.
Yes, the dreaded blank page.
The night was hot...
I realized suddenly that my dream is not to write a book. My dream is to have written a book. Writing a book is hard work.
Writing a book that someone else would like to read is even harder.
And writing a book that somebody will pay money for is even harder than that, or so I am told.

Thank you, Heather. Thank you for giving me that extra little push. Thank you for saying, "Yes, you can." Thank you for all of the time you have given me so far explaining the difference between ideas and plots. Between a rough outline and a finished outline. Between telling and showing. Between writing and being a writer.
Thank you.

4 Comments:

At December 11, 2006 6:11 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

I've started a few in my years. In fact I have one on this computer, somewhere in my files. I was like you, I didn't have to do it for any other reason than knowing that other people practiced by sitting down and writing whatever comes out, don't worry about typos, mistakes or whatever, just have a goal like you said 50 or 100 words per day. That's why they have editors. I just wanted to get into the habit of writing everyday, which my blog has allowed me to do, it's not a book but it's practicing the habit of writing.
You said something on Leigh Anns blog just pretend YOu are talking to somebody face to face and just type it. Well just pretend you are telling a story to a kid or a friend or whoever you think might read it and type it instead. You could do it..but only if you try.

 
At December 11, 2006 8:47 PM, Blogger Heather Hansen said...

*snort*

I had to laugh at the beginning of this post. Ha ha. That is so true - I'll do it... when...

But whens don't come because the when is now. ;) You can't wait for the perfect time to get married, or the perfect time to have kids. It's the same with writing. There will be no perfect time.

I also agree that it's more than writing for me. It's accomplishing it. Finishing it. And having it be good enough for someone else to read and enjoy.

That gives me enjoyment.

There is a difference between starting and finishing. Starting is a rush but finishing is unbelievable. And as long as you stay on task, finishing can be done.

And I also have to say, the first time is hard. But the second (so far) is much easier.

I'm happy to have helped. ;)

 
At December 12, 2006 4:17 AM, Blogger Save Sheila said...

Like Nike says, "Just Do It." You are doing it for you, so however long it takes is the way it's supposed to be! I'll keep watching the bookshelves for a book by "Jagular." You can't possibly publish under your real name; we know you as Jag.

I occasionally flirt with the idea of writing, but I've found that I don't have good outlining skills, so I don't know what I would do once I started. And I'd much rather read your blog and Leigh Ann's than what I've written. So you two should be the writers; I'll be the reader!

 
At December 14, 2006 11:08 PM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

If I waited for everything to be *right* - I would never get anything done.
Go for it Jag. You are so talented, I am sure that your book will be TERRIFIC!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?