.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Thursday, December 21, 2006

The ghost of Christmas Presents

Somehow I am not feeling very Christmaslike. I stayed up all night wrapping presents.
I think that's probably the reason why.
I hate wrapping presents. I'm good at it though. I just don't like doing it.
Well, you know, to be honest, I like wrapping some presents. And when there is an unusual one I enjoy it. I have wrapped a beach ball, a bicycle, a skateboard, and may other challenging items. Those aren't the ones that bother me. It's the plain ol' regular boxes that bother me. Not that I can't do them well, mind you.
There are just so friggin many of them. It took me seven hours to wrap them all.
That just sucks. I didn't count them, but I bought a package of seventy-five name tags to stick on them and I still have a few left over.
Actually, five.
But that doesn't count where I wrapped more than one of the same type of item in the same present, the clothes, or the other presents that Santa will bring, assuming any of us are on the "nice" list this year.
The shopping was even worse. We went to so many stores that the bank flagged my debit card as suspicious activity.

Yes, I know all about the overcommercialization of Christmas. But I saved up for it, so screw it. Maybe next year I will hire a college student to wrap them all for me so that I can be more Christmaslike.

But as for this year, Bah humbug.

8 Comments:

At December 21, 2006 1:00 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

I'm good at wrapping too, but this year, not so much. I'm pretty sure that's how I threw my back out of whack this year. It got better and I wrapped more, trying to be a bit more careful and mindful that I'm not 21 anymore.

 
At December 21, 2006 5:47 PM, Blogger 7 Bates said...

Bah Humbug all you like, I say gift bags save Christmas headache. You coulda been done in 2 hours.

 
At December 21, 2006 5:57 PM, Blogger jagular said...

It's a simple matter of math.
70+ presents at fifty cents per bag makes it 35+ dollars. And that's not counting where I wrapped more than one of the same type of item in the same present, the clothes, or the other presents that santa will bring, assuming any of us are on the "nice" list this year. Instead, I picked up eight rolls of wrapping paper for four bucks. So I could pay someone thirty bucks to wrap my presents and still come out a dollar ahead.
Besides, you can't shake a gift bag.

 
At December 22, 2006 4:42 AM, Blogger Save Sheila said...

Wrapping is the best!! There's nothing like ripping off that paper! I have to wrap today when I get home from work. I don't really look forward to it, but I'm happier and more in the Christmas spirit when it's done.

 
At December 22, 2006 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't wrapped anything. Oh....I have to buy gifts first?

hmm.....

 
At December 23, 2006 9:33 PM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

Merry Christmas Jagular.. hope you have a great holiday!
Blessings,
Frannie

 
At December 23, 2006 11:55 PM, Blogger Tired of being broke said...

I bought gifts for one person only, and it is not being wrapped. Gift bags at the 99 cents store come in very handy.

How do you wrap a bicycle?

 
At December 30, 2006 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not as much wrapping this year: less money for presents means, ta da, less presents. Plus, without the younger children anymore, the gifts they got were "big" ones; not so much wrapping.

Have a good New YEar's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?