.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Slight problem with the budget

Do you remember when I said that I promised to build my wife a new computer?
Well, she certainly does.
It turns out that they don't make the pretty blue case anymore. So she has picked out a different case, which came in the mail yesterday.
I already have an extra motherboard around here. It's a very nice one.
Now she said that she fully expects the rest of the "computer guts" to get here soon.
It's really hard to stall her any longer. She saw 7's computer before I mailed it off. "Now it's my turn. You can build 7 a nice computer. You can build me one."
For those of you that don't remember, here's 7's computer (early photo):
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
She tells me that it doesn't have to have four screens, but it needs to be "at least as fast as his"
Ok, that sounds fair, right?

OUCH!

Does anybody around here do computer specs?
7's computer has an AMD athlon 64x2 4800+ processor with 4GB RAM.
It has A GIG of video memory. Photoshop will crash before it crashes the computer (speaking from experience).
7's computer was built for the purpose of doing extremely high end photo processing and graphic art work.
My wife wants her computer to play SIMS.
"So why do you want it that fast?"
"Because you made 7's that fast."
"Mine's not even that fast."
"We're not talking about yours."

Now the easy way out is that my wife knows NOTHING about computer specs.
But I cannot lie to my wife.

So what to do?
Somebody throw me a clue.

I might have to bite the bullet and come up with some high end computer parts here.

7 Comments:

At October 18, 2006 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your wife really need that kind of computer? Is she gonna use it for a lot of graphics or even make movies?

 
At October 18, 2006 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put your foot down man and tell her you'll do the best you can.

 
At October 18, 2006 7:25 PM, Blogger jagular said...

I think right now she just wants it because I built one for 7.
She has no use for that amount of processing power.
It's along the same line as dressing skimpy during the Superbowl. Just a jealousy issue, I think.

 
At October 18, 2006 8:03 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Do what I do when Honey asks me to fix his computer (he's getting a new one for x-mas shhh!) start rambling in computer jargon about all the stuff you need to add (by name and purpose) and how you are going to do it, that usually gets him to be quiet and he starts begging for mercy. In fact he said why don't you get a new computer and I'll take yours. This is from a man who still hasn't figured out the satellite remotes and has no desire to do so. Just make hers faster than what she has now, splurge on a good monitor and speakers and I'm sure she will be happy. And it has to be blue.

 
At October 20, 2006 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. Well, do the best you can and I'm sure she will be understanding. You are an honest guy and I'm sure she loves you so just do the best you can and set her up with what she needs, not what she think she needs.

Post a picture of it when it's done!

 
At October 20, 2006 7:14 PM, Blogger 7 Bates said...

I got an idea...go into debt up to your eyeballs! Oh that's right, you did that with mine!

 
At October 24, 2006 5:29 PM, Blogger Tired of being broke said...

Does she really know how fast 7's computer is? You can make her one almost as fast, just not as fast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?