.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Rubiks Cube

When I lost a couple of finger tips I needed something that required a lot of manipulation so that I could work on my manual dexterity. I pulled out my Rubik's cube. Now this isn't just any Rubik's cube. It's special. It's from the early 80's. It's from Hungary, I think. I'll have to look it up. Anyhow, it has adjustable tension and the thing just won't explode no matter how fast you go on it.
Once upon a time I could do the thing in under thirty seconds. But that was a long time ago.

So I pulled the thing out to work on my dexterity as part of my occupational therapy, and instead developed a way to solve it with my other hand. Here is a video of me solving the rubiks cube in under 30 seconds, 95% of the way with my right hand. If you look closely, you can see the index and middle finger tip on my left hand are messed up.



3 Comments:

At January 13, 2007 1:20 AM, Blogger 7 Bates said...

I remember watching you and your brother whiz that very cube. I can't believe you still have it!

WAY faster than me. That's for damn sure.

 
At January 13, 2007 4:21 AM, Blogger Save Sheila said...

I am just so screwed; I don't know that I will ever figure it out. My dad said something about getting the corners first, but I can't even seem to figure that out!! I saw on Yahoo's home this a.m. that Rubik's Cubes are back in again. Blindfolded, though? Can't figure out how when I can't even do it with my eyes open.

 
At January 13, 2007 7:29 AM, Blogger jagular said...

I've done it blindfolded once just to see if I could do it. Now I know that I can, and so I never have to do that again.
There are many different ways to solve it. You can get all of the corners first and then go back and get the edges. You can get the top layer first, then the second layer, and then the bottom. One person I know gets a 2x2 area in a corner and then expands it to 2x3 and then gets the outer rim. I've done it all of these ways and they are not for me. I use a common method of getting the edges on the top layer first, and then simultaneously filling in the top corners and the second layer edges, so it knocks out a whole series of steps, and then I get the bottom layer. Except that with my fingers messed up, I turn the whole thing sideways and do it from left to right.
I know. All greek.

Ok, start with a very basic concept. The middle square on each face determines the color that will go on that side. The middle squares never move. They just rotate. Play around with it and see if that much makes sense. It's important to see the cube in this way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?