.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Spam Scam

Did you ever get one of those annoying emails that lets you know that you are entitled to a share of the 25 million dollars that the rich oil barron has left to the widow in west Africa to help her care for the homeless puppies?
You know the ones that I am talking about. All you have to do is to send the 12 thousand dollars processing fee to a western union located in Nigeria and your money will be sent to you within 48 hours.

I don't know about you, but my answer has always been to hit the delete button.
But I'm afraid that I have been in error all of these years.
A man somewhere in England, who calls himself "Shiver Metimbers" has a much better response. He begins correspondance with them and begins making all sorts of conditions for them to follow in order to receive his 12 thousand dollars, which of course, he never sends. Sometimes he requires all manner of obscure forms for them to fill out. Sometimes he makes them send a picture of themselves in any strange pose that he can think of. Or holding a cake. Or with a fish on their head. Or holding a sign.
Sometimes he will reverse scam them and make them send him the oddest items.
Or he makes them call his voice mail and sing the monty python lumberjack song.

Why does he do this? For no particular reason. To waste their time. To torment them. Maybe he's a little sadistic. Or maybe he is just bored.

Nevertheless, he is my hero of the day.
Check out some of these pictures.







How about making them copy a complex drawing by hand? Wouldn't that be fun.




Do you want a trophy for your hard work? How about making them carve you something exquisite out of wood? The harder the better.





Now I've always thought that I have skills
I may have skills. But this man has ambition. Hats off to Shiver Metimbers.
He invites you, too, to scam the scammers. Are you up for the challenge? Visit his website. Check out his archive of letters. Join the forum. Join the fun.

***WARNING*** Do not give your REAL NAME, ADDRESS, OR PHONE NUMBER to these scammers. They can be dangerous.

5 Comments:

At October 04, 2006 12:28 PM, Blogger Save Sheila said...

My husband told me about this guy before--I think he's great! Wish I had the imagination (and guts) to do stuff like that. Loved your post about the vinegar, too. I haven't gone back and read everyone's old stuff yet. Not that I don't have time, I just haven't done it. What's this about you not having all your fingers?

 
At October 04, 2006 12:51 PM, Blogger jagular said...

Oh, yeah, I lost a couple of fingertips a few years back. You can hardly tell if you don't already know. It mostly looks like I am missing a couple of nails. But they are about a half inch shorter than on the other hand.

 
At October 05, 2006 4:46 AM, Blogger Save Sheila said...

Ouch!

 
At October 05, 2006 6:46 AM, Blogger jagular said...

No, it cut the nerve clean. I never felt a thing. The worst pain I felt during the whole thing was when they took out the stitches.

 
At October 05, 2006 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats pretty sweet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?