.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Thursday, September 21, 2006

system32\config\system

I've been getting an aweful lot of hits lately from people who are missing the file c:system32\config\system
This seems to be a popular problem.
That's a system file that your computer uses to tell what all is installed on your computer (as far as I can tell, i mean, what am I, Bill Gates or something?)
It appears that a recent windows update has been crashing some people's computers.
If you found my blog because you are missing this file, I have some bad news for you.
You are going to have to reinstall windows.
Unless you backed up your system file.
If you did, you need to go restore it by changing the name of the restored file back to system.
I had not backed mine up and I had to do a full reinstall.
But I backed up all of my zip files, so I was OK there. Just lost one or two programs.

To everyone else, I would recommend backing up your system files from time to time.
You can set a restore point by going to:
Start...All Programs...Accessories...System Tools...System Restore
And then choose to set a restore point. It will make a small file on your drive so that you can restore your computer if you lose that file somehow in the future.

2 Comments:

At September 21, 2006 10:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have a new laptop and I wonder how people "lose" that file, since my old one was missing it too. I do have a backup file on disc. ANd I also have my system do a restore point once a week.

 
At September 21, 2006 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to find out more about that. One of my big fears is having my hard drive crash.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?