.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jagular

Monday, July 24, 2006

In response to "the lords of trash"

I've been really busy lately and haven't had a chance to post very much (or at all).
My brother was in a big wreck, but he will be OK after all.
So now I'm trying to catch up on my blog reading. And what did I come across? The Lords of Trash.
I just can't begin to describe how much of a sadistic sense of satisfaction I got over this post. It's not about the trash cans. It's not about the Union workers. To me it's about what happens when people give their freedom away.
I live in Texas. And this sort of thing never happens in Texas. We don't have green trash cans where I live. We don't have Unions. Our city government does not pick up the trash. Private companies do. You can subscribe to whichever trash service you desire. If you want an extra trash can, go up to Walmart and get one for ten bucks. I have three of them and am considering getting a fourth. You aren't required to recycle. If you decide to cut your grass, you can leave the clippings where they fall so that they can decay and give their nutrition back to the new grass. If I don't feel like mowing the lawn, I don't do it. I have pictures to prove it.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
This is how tall the grass got in my backyard.

The way I see the world, the problem is not in getting or not getting a new green trash can. The problem is that you gave all of your property rights away.
I don't have any problems with my "home value". I don't have neighbors acting all stupid over it. It's my property. Just as I wouldn't have a say in what they do with their property.
A recent California transplant asked me, "Who do I have to call if I want to build a shed in my back yard?" to which I replied, "Home depot."

To me, this is the essence of freedom.
And it's reason number 12 that I wouldn't want to live anywhere but Texas.

5 Comments:

At July 25, 2006 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your situation sounds similar to my buddy Al's up in Massachusetts. His property is his property to do with as he pleases, and he has home bought trash cans. The whole "city supplied cans' must indeed be a CA thing.

 
At July 25, 2006 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, back in the day we used to have cans that the garbage man hopped off the truck and slung the garbage into the bin but they invented the hydraulic systems they have now. All of our trash disposal is paid for through property taxes I dunno who set that up but it was that way long before I ever left my parents nest just like california was completely jacked up. Its hard to get something back "freedom" which you never ever had to begin with. What do you do? You either leave Cali, take the medicine the government gives you or go postal well I did my postal routine by posting the lords of trash.

 
At July 25, 2006 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Kinky Friedman for governor of CALIFORNIA!!! Hell, president!!!

 
At July 25, 2006 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dog, I was just going to post pretty much the same thing over at your blog. Good point made.

 
At August 03, 2006 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a fellow Houstonian, I love Texas too. However, watch out for those crazy Dallas folks. My parents, who live in Arlington, can't use trash cans. They have to leave their black trash bags alone on the curb for the neighborhood dogs to destroy before the garbage men come by. Always heard about the differences between the 2 cities, that is a really strange one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker HNT_1 Who links to me?